Bethany and I take some time to talk about the Thanksgiving season, and I love her take on serving family and friends within the home, both from a practical standpoint and a spiritual standpoint. We also talk a bit about perfectionism and saying no to it during the holidays.
Bethany Barendregt: Website
Women Encouraged: Website
Alex's Shawarma Recipe:
Makes enough for a crowd of 15 people
Recommend starting this a day ahead of time and marinating for a minimum of 3 hours and up to 24 hours (refrigerated).
2 1/2 Tablespoons ground cumin
2 1/2 Tablespoons turmeric powder
2 1/2 Tablespoons ground coriander
2 1/2 Tablespoons paprika
1 1/2 tsp ground cloves
3/4 tsp cayenne powder
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp ground black pepper
2 tsp salt
24 boneless skinless chicken thighs
8 cloves garlic, grated or very finely minced
2 large onions, thinly sliced
Juice of 2 lemons
1 cup olive oil
Crispy lettuce like Romaine, chopped
Thinly-sliced red onion
To make shawarma:
1. Mix all the spice ingredients together and set aside.
2. Pat the chicken dry, salt on both sides, and slice thinly into bite-size pieces.
3. Place chicken pieces in a large bowl, add spices, and toss to coat.
4. Add onions, lemon juice, and all of oil. Toss everything together again. Cover and refrigerate to marinate a minimum of 3 hours and up to 24 hours. (You can skip marinating time but the flavor will not be the same.)
5. When you are ready to cook, take the chicken out and let it sit at room temperature while you preheat the oven to 425°.
6. Line a baking sheet with tinfoil, spray with cooking spray then drizzle a very small amount of olive oil over it.
7. Spread the marinated chicken and onions in a single layer over the baking sheet and roast the chicken for 30 minutes in the 425 degree oven. When the chicken is fully roasted, move the pan to the top rack of the oven and broil for a few minutes (watch carefully to ensure it doesn’t burn).
8. Serve chicken immediately with tzatziki sauce, in pita pockets, or over salad. We also enjoyed it paired with a Mediterranean quinoa salad